December 1, 2013

Making a Hall Table

Well, a while back I talked about repainting our 'mudroom.'  I had spent 3 months stenciling the walls with a blue damask pattern on white.  I finished it about two years ago.
The mudroom with damask stencil
But when I redecorated the main floor (living room, dining room and family room) I was not happy that the mudroom did not match.  My husband's response was, "The mudroom is blue (royal blue) and the rest of the rooms have blue (robin's egg blue), so what's the problem?"

But after thinking and thinking and thinking about it, I painted over my stencil job and made the room 'Interesting Aqua' by Sherwin Williams.  It's lovely and I really like the color but it's looking a little 'plain' after all the pattern.  I'll finish the decorating and decide if it needs a stenciled pattern over the paint - lol.

We've also had a bench in this room that my husband made out of king-sized head board and foot board 10 years ago.  We have loved it but lately I've wanted to have a big 'buffet' at the front door.

When my husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year I requested he make me a table for this spot.  And he did!  In two days!

On Thanksgiving Day, while I was fixing our dinner and waiting for company to arrive, he was out in our garage sawing away.  Then two days later, on Saturday, he brought all the pieces into the mudroom and Matt helped him put it together.

the table top


We used a Kreg Jig to make pocket holes to screw the table together.
the frame of the table


added the bottom shelf
then turned it upside down and attached the top


The whole thing is made out of 'white wood' and cost about $65.    We took our bench apart and are using it for its original purpose - a headboard and foot board - and the new buffet has taken its place.

We found the plans on ana-white.com  The plans were actually for a kitchen island and if we ever move I'm hoping that's what we can use it for.

It needs to be sanded and stained and I will do my best to get to that this week.  I also bought a new mirror from Joss and Main to go above it.  I will post as soon as its finished!

In the meantime, I still have to finish the skirt on my slip cover!  Right?  :)

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  We have so much to be thankful for!  God is good all the time.

Love and blessings!


" It is the blessing of the LORD that makes rich, And He adds no sorrow to it."  Proverbs 10:22

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I really like the Interesting Aqua. As much as I always wanted to love the damask, it never worked for me. "Clean" sounds much better than "plain."

    Great table, Dad!

    ReplyDelete