June 9, 2015

Simple Upholstery Update

Hi Everyone!

It's another beautiful day here in Michigan.  The sun is shining and our peonies are in bloom!

I'm still working on my kitchen.  I told someone I thought I would wait and start painting again this fall and I doubt they saw my comment before I started painting again!  We've also been adding some some architectural details to the kitchen.

But I'm taking a break from that today and did just a small project that I've wanted to do for a while.

I reupholstered this chair a couple of years ago   I used a simple blue linen from Hobby Lobby.  It was in our living room for a couple of years but for a while I had it in the guest room.

But after getting my new Bergere chairs all done and in the living room, I decided I still wanted some more of the blue in there and put it back  See how I painted the upholstery and redid the chairs here.

Now that this chair has found its home, I decided to add some interest to it by adding toile to the back of it.

This is the original upholstery that was on this chair.  I'm sorry that this picture is weirdly blurry.  I didn't realize it until I had already finished the chair.  I pulled the blue linen off the back of the chair and used it for my pattern.

I laid the chair forward on my ottoman to let gravity work for me and not against me.  I've tried to do this before while the chair is standing up.  This is much easier!
If you're just adding a piece of fabric to your chair, lay a piece of your fabric on the back of your chair that is the approximate size.  Lay it face down with your pattern facing the chair.  Then use a pencil to trace inside the frame of the chair.  Cut your piece of fabric out leaving a small edge to tuck into the frame - about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Then using a flat head screw driver, I simply tucked my fabric into the frame of the chair.  I had fabric glue on hand in case it wasn't secure enough but I never used it.  I didn't want to put the same double piping in this area that I put elsewhere on the chair and I didn't need to.  Just tucking into the frame held it securely.

I then covered the lumbar pillow that came with the chair in the same toile.
It's not a dramatic change but just a little interest.  And maybe just enough to make your house more personal.



My grandchildren are coming over this afternoon while my daughter and her husband pick up their new minivan and visit the hospital birthing center.   We're all very excited about our new grandson that will be born soon!

Have a beautiful day!

love and blessings~


"And He came and preached peace to you who were far away, and peace to those who were near;   for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father." Ephesians 2:17,18

I'm joining these linky parties:
Stone Gable
Home Remedies RX
Savvy Southern Style
The Dedicated House
No Minimalist Here
Posed Perfection
Anderson & Grant
Miss Mustard Seed
betweennapsontheporch
dwellings-theheartofyourhome
.astrollthrulife.
ivyandelephants
cupcakesandcrinoline
Swing into Spring - It's a Party #223
knickoftime
thriftydecorchick.
too-much-time

43 comments:

  1. Your chair project turned out nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynda! Oh, your chair looks gorgeous. I would have thought about tucking the fabric into the wood trim. I love that toile pattern. Your room is so beautiful and enjoy those little grandchildren.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelia! Me and my Sweeties are hanging out! :)

      Delete
  3. So very pretty :-) My favorite fabric
    Thank you for sharing - God Bless You :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon Lynn, and thank you for the blessing!

      Delete
  4. Wow..what a great idea to take that fabric and tuck it into the frame of the chair!!!...Love that fabric and such a beautiful change!..Adore your living room...and congrats on the upcoming birth of your grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda, Beautiful and you used my favorite toile!
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda, what a stunning room and that chair is absolutely gorgeous. I love your decor and I'm thrilled that I found your blog.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip and I love the fabric. You have a lovely living room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great, especially the matching pillow. Very nice job. I saw your link at The Dedicated House's Before and After Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann Marie! and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I love this idea, Lynda, and what a difference it makes! I'll be featuring your project at The Scoop on Monday night. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so so pretty, Lynda. that toile is perfect for the chair. thanks for sharing your "how to" with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda, the chair is stunning. I like the toile fabric and think it makes your chair very special. Where did you buy the toile. I'd be interested to see if I could find some of it too for a project here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/covington-bosporus-flax-fabric-.htm

      Delete
  12. It's amazing what a little fabric can do, isn't it? Thank you for sharing at Talented Tuesday (and congratulations on your new grand baby!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it, you did a wonderful job with your chair. It looks beautiful and perfect for your lovely room.

    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so clever and you do such an amazing job with all of your upholstery. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice choice you made. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! I love toile and the one you chose is very beautiful. May I ask where you bought it? This was my first visit and I thoroughly enjoyed looking around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Corina! here's the link to the fabric https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/covington-bosporus-flax-fabric-.htm Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  17. This is the perfect touch to add to your living room. I pinned to my Pinterest Reupholstery board in fact because I love the look and the fabric and I think it may room in my own living room on two antique chairs that I have. I can't recover the entire chairs (I had that done a few years back and it was super expensive) but I can certainly do something to change them up a bit. Thanks for sharing all your info. I love your home!
    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Patricia! and thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  18. I love that fabric and your chair looks so nice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I visited your blog after seeing your comment and LOVE all your beautiful photos! We lived in Alabama for 5 years and I miss all the wonderful antiques and shops of the South. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  19. Love the fabric and the room looks beautiful. I will be featuring this tonight at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your chair caught my eye at the Vintage Inspiration Party. Love the fabric you used on the back of your chair - so pretty! Your Bergere chairs look fabulous painted too.
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete