March 18, 2015

Our Guest Room

We have two small bedrooms on our main floor.  Both are small and have South facing windows.  
We use one as my husband's office and one as a guest room.  We have a full bath in the hallway next to these bedrooms and we can close the hallway off with a pocket door which makes for nice privacy for our guests.

This winter I painted and redecorated our guest room.

Here is the room as it looked last year...

I painted it the same color I used in our family room. Even though it's the same color it looks more green in this room than in the family room.

The matelasse bedspread is the same but I added a new voile bedskirt that I ordered from Joss&Main.

I centered the bed under the window and made the new curtains.  They're a faux silk and I lined them with white curtain lining. 


I'd like to find another nightstand for the left of the bed.  Until then a birdcage full of antique books fills the space.

There's definitely a bird theme in this room.  I found two of these plates at HomeGoods and thought they'd be perfect to set on top of corbels on either side of the window.
This silly little bird sits on the nightstand.  My daughter laughed when she saw him (her?) in my cart but she smells delicious!  When the sun warms this room, you can smell this potpourri the minute you walk in the room.  
These pictures used to be in our family room but I like them better in here.  And that's the nice thing about having similar colors in each room - you can move things around.

I bought the chandelier at a garage sale for $2.00.  The former owner promised it worked.  It was old gold and had orange crystals hanging from it.  She had taken it down when they bought their house and replaced it with something more modern.
I painted it with beige chalk paint and then added touches of white here and there, letting the old gold show through in areas.  Then draped it with crystals I got at Save-0n-Crafts.

After all that work, we still weren't sure it would work.  My husband hooked it up and went back downstairs to turn on the power and heard me cheering!  


This chair sits across the room next to the window.  
(I'm sorry I couldn't get a picture that ties the two ends of room together.  The window causes too much glare.)  
It used to be in our living room and I reupholstered it last year like I did the one in our family room.  I love it in here but am wondering it if I should paint the frame a lighter color now.
The sweet teapot was a Mother's Day gift many, many years ago.  The white embroidered and white candlewick pillow cases were given to me by my mom.

I will show you the other side of the room soon.  I bought a pretty little desk that fits well there but I haven't finished a few details yet.

I also would like to make some Roman shades to replace the blinds in here.  But I'm enjoying the changes.  This room is always bright and sunny and I love to sit at the desk and write.

love and blessings~

"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal." 1 Corinthians 13:1 

I'm linking up with these parties:
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
Cedar Hill Farmhouse - The Scoop
Common Ground - Share Your Style
From My Front Porch to Yours - Treasure Hunt Thursday
Joy in Our Home -Your Turn to Shine
Imparting Grace - Grace at Home

10 comments:

  1. What a sweet guestroom Lynda.
    Hmmm, why do I have the feeling that the 2 new tables ( from your rediscovered store ) will get a brand new coat of paint and end up here?
    Lucky guests!!
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gee! I actually tried one of the tables in there but it's too big and too low. You can't tell by my picture of them loaded in my car but they're pretty good-sized tables. Our tables in our family room and living room are going to be replaced! :) I'll have to go shopping again to find a nightstand! Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  2. So beautiful Lynda! Very welcoming and warm! Love the bedding and that tray on the bed is gorgeous! Would love it if you shared any of your posts at our link party tomorrow please :) Hope your week is wonderful!
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bedroom looks so lovely and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty. I love that color. It is so soothing. Hopping over from French Country Cottage. Congratulations of the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda what a transformation! Thank you for sharing at THT. Your guest room is beautiful. Isn;t it funny how the same color look so different in other areas of our homes?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela! Yes! The hardest job in the world is choosing a paint color.

      Delete