November 4, 2015

Stenciled Walls in the Entry

Hi all!

Hope you're having a wonderful week!  We are having the most beautiful weather here in Michigan and have broken records for warm temperatures in November.  What a blessing!

Sorry to be gone for so long!  I took a break from decorating my own house and helped my daughter with several projects at her house.  I'm also a 'slow' decorator.  Sometimes I have to think about what I want to do for a while before I know.

But, this week I did something I've been thinking about for a long time!  I repainted our entry way walls and I am so much happier with it!

In my last post I showed you how I painted this dresser.  I had put a very large painting over it and just wasn't loving it.  I found this mirror at HomeGoods.  It was all white and I painted the blue and gold to tie it in with the dresser.
Inspiration picture
And then I just kept being dissatisfied with the walls. I painted this room SW Interesting Aqua about three years ago and even though I liked the color, I just wasn't loving the look.  When I showed my daughter my inspiration picture, she laughed and said, "I like clean and bright.  YOU like 'ruins!'" Ha!  She's right!

I also love patterned walls.  I stenciled this room with the same damask stencil several years ago.  It took me three months to finish and then I wasn't happy with my color choice!  So I didn't want to work that hard again.
I started out with the original color I had on the walls.
Then using this roller and tray, I put our family room color (which I mixed myself and is about 1/2 the intensity of SW Rain) on one side and a small amount of Valspar Gold Glaze on the other side.
I rolled over the walls until my colors were blended well.  I added the stencil...spacing it around the room. I used SW Interesting Aqua and a little of the gold for the stencil pattern.

I dry brushed over the pattern after I removed the stencil, softening the edges.  
The walls in this room, and a lot of the walls in our house, have a textured wall paper on them that we were not able to remove when we bought our house. The good news is that it was applied so perfectly that there are no seams. The bad news is you can't get new wallpaper to stick on top of this old wall paper. So if I want pattern, I need to use a stencil.

I haven't finished the other side of the room yet.  I'm hoping to have time to finish tomorrow.
I got the wooden wheel barrow at Joss & Main.  The cement garden angel was a gift when we lived in Alabama and I bought the lamps at a discount store in Virginia.
So this room has changed dramatically in the last several months!  I liked it a lot before.  I love it now!

love and blessings~
 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another." John 13:34

I'm joining these linky parties:
thededicatedhouse
addisonmeadowslane
too-much-time

38 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda! This is simply GORGEOUS! I like clean and bright like your daughter too BUT I also love this look. Excellent job. Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannette! My daughter really likes this too. It really brightened up the room so I got the best of both! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Hi again Lynda! I watched a home tour video on UTube today from Dominique Sachse (it's under her lifestyle playlist) and her foyer reminded me so much of yours I thought you might enjoy seeing it because I thought of you immediately! Take care

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jeannette! I had never seen her videos before I found the home tour and it's beautiful and her foyer has the same feel!

      Delete
  2. I like you luv ruins!! :) But after living with the faux on the master and living areas for 8 years, I went with clean and bright. I moss it sometimes :) But the brightness makes me smile. Plus now I am using my hone as the main showcase for my art work and , well it works better.
    I luv your faux with the stencils Lynda. And I simply adore your dresser!!
    Happy midweek.
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gee! No matter what we like, it's always fun to change once in a while. And I agree that simple walls are best for showing off your beautiful art!

      Delete
  3. That looks absolutely amazing! You made the right call doing the stencil!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey! I'm looking around seeing if there's anything else I can stencil now! lol

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness...you are definitely in "project mode", and this is absolutely beautiful !!! If you get bored, you can come to Texas and do my house! Blessings, Becky M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thank you, Becky! If you pay for the flight, I'll come down! ;) I know you're enjoying your beautiful new house!

      Delete
  5. It turned out beautiful, I love the stencil pattern....I have worked with many stencil pattern before, even done some with plaster that turned out really nice to.....
    Love the color of your walls....I also have the same mirror also purchase at Home Goods and just like you I added gold to all the detail just minus the blue...and I love they way it turned out....your home is soooooo pretty....

    Smiles~
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mari! I haven't tried stenciling with plaster although I LOVE the look! Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful job you've done! I love this and your occasional stencil just finished it off! What a lovely entry you have. I'm coveting your big cabinet~~ ;)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelia! My cabinet was really a 'find' and started all the changes! I love how French it is!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous!!! You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! What an absolutely stunning room! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynda, your entry looks amazing!! You did such a great job, your walls look like they have been transferred from a French castle!! Beautiful!!
    xoxo
    Vesna - Home Chic Club
    http://vesna-kreativnostidrugesitnice.blogspot.rs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you, Vesna! That's what I was going for! :)

      Delete
  10. Lynda...I love this wall! I have the same roller and tray, but have never used it. Too afraid! I was told that for a better look that I should use 2 colors that are very close on the paint chip...is that true? Do you do a random application with the roller? Also, I was told when I bought the roller and tray that they are not made any longer so what do you do when you need new rollers? Sorry, too many questions.
    I do really like everything that you do. You have a lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolee! Yes, I would use colors that are close to each other but whatever colors you use, this roller blends them together. The more you roll, the more blended. I would suggest you try it on a sample board first to experiment and get the look you're hoping for. I have had this roller and tray for years and just wash it well every time I use it. Thanks for your kind comments! :)

      Delete
  11. Lynda, I haven't seen an entry this pretty in a very long time. Your creativity for bringing it all together just amazes me. I can't single out one feature because it's such a harmonious look but the mirror really is special. Are you sure you didn't pick that up in Paris?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you, Connie!! My mirror has a chip on the trim so HomeGoods had it on clearance for $40. I always laugh that Paris, Michigan is about 15 minutes north of us. That's the only Paris I've ever gotten to go to! Have a great day!

      Delete
  12. What a great look, Lynda. I really like the sense of age and texture. Your decision to use the stencil was inspired. It's a lovely entry way. Very cool, indeed. I saw your link at Pamela's Treasure Hunt Thursday party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love this what a beautiful entry and the walls look amazing!!! Thank you for sharing at Share it One More Time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how beautiful and elegant. I love your stencil, the gorgeous blue background, your credenza, shutters, and that magical sunlight. I'm so happy you shared this at FF&EE! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael Lee! I hope you're feeling well and having a wonderful weekend also!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  15. Lynda,
    Exquisite!!!
    Subtle, yet elegant transformation taking place in your entry, dear friend!!!
    May you soon reap the fruits of your labours!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pat! I hope you're enjoying the beautiful fall weather and doing well!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
    2. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the new paint color and added stencil ...such an incredible entry!

      Delete
  16. Hi Lynda, this turned out fabulous. you wanted something special and you achieved it with perfection! Love all your beautiful techniques, and that wonderful stencil pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you've done here. Question: It looks like your walls before were faux painted because it's not one solid shade of blue. What was the faux finish you used? I like that its very subtle. I'm thinking about faux painting the walls in our 1910 Victorian in shades of yellow--not too pastel, not too dark, and would like it to look similar to yours except in yellows. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, carlhpal! If you read above, I show you exactly what I did to get the look. Hope yours turns out exactly like you're seeing it in your head.
      love and blessings~

      Delete