April 23, 2019

A Softer Shade of Blue

Hi Friends!

I hope you and your family had a beautiful Resurrection Sunday as we celebrated the life, death and resurrection of Jesus! I was so blessed to see social media filled with proclamations of Jesus. He is our hope, our joy and our life!

We had an extremely harsh winter here in Michigan this year. And one snowy, icy day I decided to redecorate our entry. I genuinely loved this room before but always felt it didn't flow as well with the rest of the house as I'd like. I wanted less Traditional and more French Country.  

The picture below was taken by the photographer from Romantic Homes a couple of years ago. The walls were blue a soft blue with a painted stencil and below the chair rail and trim was all bright white. 

 
I started the redo by painting the trim and closet doors a light wood tone to match the rest of the house. I painted the walls in Sand by Sherwin Williams as a base coat, from top to bottom, including the chair rail. I'll share the paint technique and raised plaster stencil I did in a later post. 

And then I repainted our blue dresser.
The new color is much lighter and more the color that shows up around our house in almost every room. I'm sorry I can't give you a color name. I used the same color that I custom mixed for our family room a few years ago and then added colors to it and layered it on until I got the look I wanted.
I always use a chalk paint additive I bought on Amazon.   It gives your paint that smooth chalky finish but I can add it to any color that I already have. 

For those of you who are new to this site, I bought this dresser second hand several years ago. It was an old, maple bedroom dresser that someone had in storage. It was in great shape and we paid $100 for it. It's definitely one of my favorite pieces of furniture in our home and I love the impact it gives when you walk in our front door.

I added a little of the light blue to our HomeGoods mirror so that it coordinated better. This mirror was on clearance at HomeGoods a couple of years ago. It was all a uniform cream color and I painted it to match the dresser. 


I layered one of our cowhide rugs over another rug. I love the mix of rustic with the feminine furniture.

Our entry is a pass-through with doors on all four sides. Below is the view from the front door. The door on the left goes into the rest of our house. The patio door you see goes out onto the deck and into the back yard and pool. The door you see reflected in the mirror goes into our garage.  
I haven't shown you the other side of the room in a while. I'll share more details about recovering the antique settee on another post. I'd like to change our light fixtures in here to a soft gold, whether I refinish the ones we have or buy new ones.
There are a few other changes in here I'd still like to make and will give you updates in the future. 

Thank you to those that have messaged me this past year. Your kind comments were a blessing to me and I appreciate it so much.

love and blessings~

"The blessing of the Lord makes rich, and He adds no sorrow with it." Proverbs 10:22

sources: 
dresser, chair - Craigslist
mirror - HomeGoods
wooden bowl, vase and roses - HobbyLobby
lamp and candlesticks - Furniture City Consignment
french shopping basket - World Market
cherry blossoms - Joann's Fabrics
cowhide rug - Twisted Pine, Estes Park, CO
wall color - Sand by Sherwin Williams


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! I'm really enjoying the changes. Thanks for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a beautiful day! love

      Delete
  2. Lynda,
    Exquisite!
    Oh, my this change of paint within your entry
    and on the dresser is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing this amazing refreshing transformation
    to this area of your lovely home!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pat! You are always so kind. I'm speaking blessing and prosperity over you and your family and all your endeavors. love

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I love the color. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I'm liking the changes too! Thank you so much for visiting commenting. love and blessings~

      Delete
  4. Lynda!!! As always, your work is so beautiful! I was so excited to see a new post from you. You are always an inspiration for me and as I decorate my new home, I refer to your older posts and now this one for so many ideas! I hope to see many more posts in the future.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend! I'm so very happy for you and your new home! Can't wait to see pictures! You are a beautiful decorator and your home will reflect your loveliness. I'm praying it all goes smoothly. Can't wait to hear from you again! love and blessings~

      Delete