I wish I had a picture of the two fireplaces that are in our main floor rooms but I wasn't blogging then and they were ugly. There were no mantles; the fireplace opening was simply surrounded by a piece of wood. Very stark and contemporary. And so not Moi!
So I designed two matching mantles for these rooms and Mark, who I affectionately like to call my assistant, built them. Ha! What would I do without him?! :)
We started by building a rectangular box, without a back, in the appropriate dimensions and then adding moulding to the bottom and crown moulding to the top. We then added a board that would be the top of the mantle.
We added another bit of moulding to the center.
Before we attached any of the pieces to the fireplace, I sprayed them all with a faux stone spray paint, giving them a more realistic finish. I then painted them and added dark glaze, antiquing the details.
Mark attached a board to the wall, anchoring it to a stud. He then attached the mantle to this board, hiding it.
We added corbels that I found at Hobby Lobby. They are decorative only and don't actually support the fireplace.
I used a stencil and tole paints and stenciled the tile with a fleur de lis pattern. The heat from the fireplaces has set the paint.
We added two pieces of moulding to the wall above the family room fireplace to emphasize the height. Then painted between the boards to match the mantle, giving it a more French Country feel.
And now, we love them! A visiting friend thought they were 'stone' although I think the edges are a little sharp for that to be believable but they're dramatic and romantic, giving a much more elegant feel to the rooms.
I have finally finished staining the end tables he made and hope to get them posted by the end of the week.
Love and blessings!
I am linking up with
Romantic Home and