February 7, 2018

Changes to Our Living Room

Hi Friends!  We've been having a cold, white winter here in Michigan. I joked with a friend recently, who was hibernating like me, that we would just have to skype until Spring, because neither one of us wanted to venture out in this weather! Ha!

The last time I posted pictures of our living room, it was filled with blue and white toile and blue and white porcelain. But recently I decided to change it up and use a lot more neutrals. The nice thing is I didn't spend any money making these changes. They're all things I already had.

Oops! Except the two tables in each corner - they're new since I've posted! (new-used)
I put the jute rug that's been in the family room in here. I like the casual feeling it gives with everything else so romantic and feminine. I also like the neutral color.
I've had this coffee table for a couple of years. I found it at an indoor flea market and chalk painted it to match the end table that's in here.
The little cabinet on the left I found at my favorite used furniture store in Grand Rapids. It had kind of a funny paint job and so I gave it an update with chalk paint. I've moved it around a couple of times but if ends up staying here, I may paint it again. 
I've had a desk in this corner of the room for several years but I've liked this change.

I found this table on Craig's list. It's a reproduction but I love all the beautiful carving and curves. I left the finish and didn't paint it but it sure would be pretty painted to show off all the detail. 

This chaise was in our bedroom for a couple of years but I recently moved it here. I've really enjoyed having it in this room and often sit here in the mornings to read my Bible and drink my coffee. 
Or to enjoy a book in the afternoon. 
I got the art above the fireplace from Joss & Main a couple of years ago but could never find a frame for it. I found this one recently at Hobby Lobby. I've really been in love with these traditional gold frames lately and have been grabbing them when I find them. 

The love seat, chairs and chaise in this room I recovered with drop cloths. They were all bought at different times and had different mismatched fabrics. I unified them with paint and washable drop cloths.






I'm really enjoying the peaceful feel of this room after the busier feeling it had with all the blue and white.

And that's what's so nice about changing a few things. It feels like a whole new room.
I'm getting ready to repaint our family room. It's been a soft blue for several years and I'm going to start painting it "Antique White" by Sherwin Williams today. I'll try to post some of my progress on Instagram.

Have a warm Wednesday!

love and blessings~


"Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God." Matthew 5:8

love seat, chairs and chaise all bought second hand and recovered with drop cloth
coffee table and end table bought second hand and chalk painted
rug - HomeGoods 
fireplace screen - Amazon
pillows - home made
vase on coffee table - Joss & Main
candlestick on coffee table - Tuesday Morning
wooden bowl - HomeGoods
grandfather clock - second hand
art on fireplace - Joss & Main with HobbyLobby frame
gold candlesticks in corner - HomeGoods
mirror- Joss & Main
vase by mirror - HobbyLobby
candleabra - HomeGoods
cement angel - garden store many years ago
basket with wood - HomeGoods

13 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda! so glad that you have created your neutral room and that you are happy with it, that is what is important. I must admit that I LOVED the blue and white that you had before, but decorating our homes is personal and making it a place of peace and comfort for us as individuals, our families and all who may enter! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Veronica! The good news is that I still have all that blue and white and it will probably show up somewhere else in the house soon! ;) stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. Will do Lynda! :-) I enjoy your blog so very much! Have a blessed day!

      Delete
  2. I love everything you do, and sometimes you just must switch it up to keep it feeling new and fresh to your own eyes. I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I get house-bound with all the snow sometimes and stare at it too long. The change feels good!

      Delete
  3. Your room looks beautiful. It is always fun to change things up a bit to create a fresh new look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shannon! Winter in Michigan can be long and boring. A change of scenery helps. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Very, very pretty! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The framed art on the wall is called ¨El rezo del Angelus¨ (The Angel's prayer; it´s a pray to the Virgin Mary) by
    Jean-François Millet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home is so lovely. I'm looking for a soft cream color paint like you have on your living room walls. Do you happen to know what color it is? Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The color is Sherwin Williams Sand. Warning: in some lighting it has a yellow undertone and in my daughter's house, it looked pink! Hope it works in your house! Sorry it took me so long to answer~ I couldn't get my answer to post on my phone and had to go to my laptop.

      Delete