November 22, 2013

How to Make a Christmas Stocking



Our home here in Michigan has been decorated in reds and yellows since we moved here, ten years ago.  All our Christmas decorations were also in reds and golds.  

But after redecorating this past year in neutrals and robin's egg blue, I knew that when Christmas came, I would want to change my Christmas decorations to match the new decor.  I've had a lot of fun making changes to some of our existing decorations and making a few new things to go with our 'new' house.

I used an old Christmas stocking as a pattern and traced the outline onto my fabric, leaving a seam allowance.  I cut two identical pieces - one for the front of the stocking and one for the back.


I pinned the two sides together, right side in, and sewed them together.

I then snipped the edges, making a cut about every inch, so that the fabric would lay better when I turned it right side out.
I turned the stocking right side out and pressed it flat.
I picked a damask to use for the cuff at the top of the stocking.  I cut a piece of fabric the appropriate size to fold over the top of the stocking.
I unfolded it and sewed along the side with the right sides together.

When I flipped it right side out, it's now the cuff that will go on the top of the stocking.
I  inserted it into the top of the stocking with all the rough edges together.
Using the narrow sleeve feature on my sewing machine, I sewed the top to the stocking.
When it's folded over, there are no unfinished seams and you have a stocking ready to be embellished any way you want.
I had some ribbon that coordinated well with my fabric and used it for the hanging loop.  I then stitched on a sparkling snow flake and a bow.

I'm going to make my next one using the damask for the body of the stocking and the plain fabric for the cuff.  But for now, here is the finished stocking.
You could also add a letter ornament  of the first letter of each of your family members' names.  That doesn't work for us!  We have several L's and several M's.  

Have a wonderful weekend!  Love and blessings!
" I will give thanks to the LORD according to His righteousness And will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High."  Psalms 7:17 

No comments:

Post a Comment