March 27, 2014

Where to Start When You Want to Redecorate

Where do you start when you want to redecorate?  It can be overwhelming sometimes. Our main floor was decorated in French Country reds and yellows for 10 years.  

I loved it for a long time. But styles change and let's face it - we just get tired of it after a while. I knew I wanted to redecorate but I hadn't found any direction that I wanted to go.

I used to collect magazine pictures in a notebook for years. I grouped them by room. Every magazine that I bought got scoured and the good pictures got taken out and added to my notebook. Then Pinterest became popular and changed our lives - lol.  http://www.pinterest.com/lyndabrandly/

The notebooks have been discarded for boards. So much fun. And I found myself gravitating towards 'white.' Now I've always loved white. I think white is my favorite color. :)  But with kids I never felt I could get away with it.  

I still didn't know what direction I was going to go and then I walked into a Pottery Barn. Now, you might wonder why that took so long to happen. I live in Big Rapids, Michigan. The nearest mall is 70 miles away. I'm.  not.  kidding.  

And when I entered the store, I had an 'event.'  I'm sure the sales ladies were a bit worried about me. The look on my face was probably comical - somewhere between rapture and awe with a little bit of drooling. 

I fell in love with the huge barn doors, the wood plank ceilings and floors, the white slip-covered couches and the rustic tables.  It was 'ME!!!'  

At the time, the store was also filled with blue glass vases and accessories and mercury glass candle holders. I had found my inspiration and my starting off point. I went home and announced that I was going to totally redecorate.  My husband glanced up and said, "What's new?"  

"No!" I  said.  "Totally!"  On my husband's next trip to Grand  Rapids he dutifully followed me into Pottery Barn and he fell in love.  Mission accomplished!

The fun really began when I discovered www.ana-white.com.  "Look, Honey!  We can build our own furniture!"  I thought he would think I was crazy but was thrilled when he loved the idea.  And we (he) started building furniture!

So, find your inspiration. 

I found this picture at www.houzz.com and I loved the mix of pale blue walls, French Country furniture, rustic beams and crystal chandelier.  It is the picture that made me decide on my family room wall color. 

When I first redecorated I spent hours making drapes and then just didn't like them. These are the pictures that convinced me I needed shutters on my windows.  (I'm finishing up my shutters and will feature them in a future post.)

Pottery Barn


Once I know what color I want I will shop for a fabric.  This time my fabric was white cotton duck.  I also found the blue paisley that I made these pillows out of at Joann's Fabrics.  I made the blue pillow with a burlap trim (Pottery Barn knock-off.)  The pillow with buttons I found at HomeGoods but it also looks like Pottery Barn.

Then I found the blue linen that's on my bergere chairs at Hobby Lobby.  So I had my basics.

We still want to add a barn door and have figured out where it will work.
www.fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.com
So my redecorating foundations are done.  BUT, looking around I'm really missing print and pattern.  It's feeling a little boring and muted for my taste now.  So I've order some new fabrics to add a little interest.  

 
And after Sherry at No minimalist here posted all the beautiful Buffalo check, I'm thinking about adding this.
Also my living room is looking a little too feminine. I need to add a little more rustic and I'm thinking about taking the skirt off the love seat slip cover.

AND I'm loving this picture.  I'm thinking about painting my Entry Hall walls like this.  I think I'll just do it by hand.  The worst that can happen is that I'll have to paint back over it - right?

Here's my current situation...
What do you think?

So I laugh when my husband asks if we're done. Honey, I love your sense of humor! We're never done! Have a great day!

love and blessings~
"She makes coverings for herself; Her clothing is fine linen and purple."  Proverbs 31:22 -


12 comments:

  1. I love your white with the touches of aqua. Of course since I have buffalo check drapes in the family room, I think adding checks is a fabulous idea. Love the idea of the stenciled or painted wall. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marty! I love your Buffalo check drapes and it just hadn't occurred to me because of the color. I'm going to order some samples! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really living your living room. Every time I see it, I see something new.I too had the reds and gold's of a Tuscan style.... then changed to a white/cream palette . A neutral with oops of color. Funny, I had the Mr. put up some shutters in the dining room, and we got more to add to the sitting room.
    Wishing you a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gee! It sounds like we like the same things! Thanks always for your sweet comments.
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  4. It will be beautiful and you are using some of my favorite colors. Y'all did a fab job on the 3 tier console table. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you. I have done the same thing with our home in the past few years. I am still adding things. I love your new look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda, I am a big fan of using blue and white in decorating so of course I love your changes. Thanks for the mention and have a great weekend.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sherry! I reupholstered one of my Bergere chairs in a royal blue Buffalo check a few years ago (before I was blogging) and forgot how much I liked it. Your pretty post reminded me!
      love and blessings~
      Lynda

      Delete
  7. Love the transformation, but I can totally relate to your husband's comment too. I recently took down some window fashions in the kitchen and when the Mr. came home, he sheepishly asked, "Are those down for cleaning or for good." I just laughed and said, "Down for good honey, they've been up over 10 years!" That's the marker for me--10 years is plenty, sometimes five, sometimes one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Robin, I totally agree! My older son came home from college for the first time after he left and purposefully walked all around the house to see what had changed since he'd left! There's just so much we like and have to try!
      Thanks for the visit! I'm checking out your blog...
      love and blessings~
      Lynda

      Delete