April 14, 2014

French Country Cow or Reupholstering an Ottoman

Hi all!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

I had big plans for the weekend - plans that involved sewing and sawing and drilling, etc. But, we had a wild thunderstorm here on Saturday and lost power and internet for a couple of days. We were very blessed not to have any damage to our house or property. A huge tree fell just one house up from us. It was large enough that it reached clear across the street and onto a neighbor's roof. There are lots of trees and signs and power lines down in our area. So we are thanking God for His grace and are so thankful that all we suffered was a little inconvenience.

With that all said, I've been 'tweaking.' I looked around lately and realized that I hadn't quite gotten my living room, dining room and family room looking the way I wanted them. I love all the white but I'm really missing color and print. All the fabric I ordered arrived and then I ordered some more. So, I'm a little behind my own schedule but will be sewing and posting the changes this week.

I had covered this little ottoman a few months ago when I started redecorating.  The size is perfect here but the fabric I had covered it in was now looking 'dirty' up against the pure white of the love seat and chairs.  I really like the French script on this fabric but it was also a little light-weight for upholstery.

I had wanted a burlap-like linen fabric but couldn't find what I wanted. We have no fabric store here in town and I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest one. I ordered some fabric on line that I thought was right but it wasn't.

I had once told my friend jokingly that my new style was "French Country Cow."  And I've decided I'm going with that.  I had this burlap bag that I had covered a pillow with a while back but decided to use it on this little ottoman.
 I cut the seam that held the bag together making it one big piece.  Without trimming it at all, I placed it on the ottoman where I wanted it to go, flipped it over and using my staple gun secured it on the four sides so it wouldn't move.
I then went all around pulling it tight and stapling it in place. I didn't remove the other fabric first because the original fabric is a dark burgundy and the burlap is a loose enough weave that I was afraid it might show through.
Fortunately it's easy to slide the fabric under the edges of the legs of this bench. I tried taking them off the first time I covered it but they were screwed-on up under the original upholstery and I didn't want to take it completely apart.
 I continued stapling until everything was secure and trimmed the extra fabric off.
leaving it neat and clean underneath.
And there it is!  

I think if my bag had been bigger I would have just automatically centered the cow but I'm glad I couldn't because I like that it's off to one side!

I'm not going to show you the rest of the room yet.  I'm finishing my secretary, adding some new fabrics and a new piece of art.  Hopefully, I'll get this room done this week. Then the dining room and the family room are getting some tweaking next.

Love and blessings~

 "And He rode on a cherub and flew; And He appeared on the wings of the wind." 2 Samuel 22:11

I'm joining these linky parties:
A Stroll Thru Life
Between Naps on the Porch
Everyday Home
One More Time Events


4 comments:

  1. I luv thro new cow burlap cover. I agree, the off center is very attractive. Can hardly wait got the rest... Glad you only lost power during the storm. Could have been worse.
    Happy rest of week.
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, what a great bag and it looks perfect off center. I would love for you to link it up to my Inspire Me party. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty! I will always link up with you - just didn't get a chance to last night. I appreciate your hospitality so much and your thoughtfulness in always commenting! You're a sweetheart.
      love and blessings~

      Delete