April 17, 2014

My New Secretary

I've had "Aunt Thelma's desk" since she passed away about 22 years ago. She was a beautiful, Godly lady that helped raise my father-in-law and when she died, my mother-in-law gave us her desk.  I have always appreciated having it but have always wished that I could find a hutch to go on top to make it a secretary.  

If you saw my post a few weeks ago, I realized one day that I had a book case in the basement that I hadn't tried before and was so happy that it was the perfect size!
So I set it on top and it worked perfectly. 



I've been waiting the past couple of weeks for Mark to get time to put some crown moulding on the top and on the fronts of the shelves. He finished it this weekend and I've been priming and painting for the last couple of days.


I used Kilz 1-2-3 Primer that is supposed to work on any surface without pre-sanding. And it did. The first coat on the laminate book shelf dried looking a little like alligator skin but the second and third coat of primer smoothed out. It was great on the desk which had a very glossy maple finish.
Then two coats of white paint and...


I have my secretary!


I filled it with our collection of antique books and some other little treasures that have not had a place to live.


My husband found the butterfly on the ground years ago.  It had died and he brought it home and I framed it.  The antique letter holder I found in a little shop in Virginia. I love the little angels on it and the ink wells.

I've never had anything that I've loved in this corner before but now it feels like the perfect little niche for a romantic desk.


I smile every time I look at it!
I'm still 'tweaking' the living room and will be posting new pictures soon!

Love and blessings~

"It is the blessing of the LORD that makes rich, And He adds no sorrow to it." Proverbs 10:22 

I'm linking up with these parties:




27 comments:

  1. Oh I love it, how perfect is this. It definitely makes a fabulous secretary and your vignettes are fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay and thank you, Marty! Thanks also for commenting on my vignettes as I feel like you're so good at them! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love what you did with these two separate pieces and made it into such a beautiful secretary! did you screw the shelf to the top of your desk or is it just sitting on top? I always wonder about things like this! Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, You're a Mom! :) No, I didn't attached it. The shelf is heavy and it's up against the wall so it can't budge. I also didn't want to damage the desk in any way.
      Thanks for commenting! Have a joyful Easter!

      Delete
  3. It fits perfectly in that spot, Lynda! I love it! I've always wanted a secretary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! They're such a romantic piece of furniture. I hope that you get your 'dream secretary!'
      love and blessings and Happy Easter!

      Delete
  4. great job Lynda~! its a amazing what some paint and a superbly creative mind can accomplish..
    applause applause..

    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonny! I informed my husband that I have a "superbly creative mind." ;) Loved your comment! I visited your blog after seeing this and will be following. Have a beautiful Easter!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  5. It fits perfectly in that spot. Good work, Mom AND Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful! And how nice that you are using a piece with special meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss D! Yes, I think Aunt Thelma would like it. :) Happy Easter!

      Delete
  7. What a perfect marriage of 2 pieces. Beautiful, and such sweet things on it.
    Playing catchup as I was in the throws of a migraine most of the weekend.
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gee! And I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  8. Great job incorporating your clever idea. I like the way you styled it too.

    I loved the story of your husband finding the butterfly and framing it. I like all your treasured pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the transformation!!! The desk is beautiful.

    Dee
    http://alapinlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful, Lynda! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at The Round-Up from the Before and After Wednesday party at The Dedicated House. Pop back in tomorrow and check out your feature. Hope to see you again on Wednesday at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI HI i love your blog , you have a new follower from Chile
    Angelica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your home is beautiful! How tall is the bookcase? I have a desk exactly like this one and have been wanting to do this forever. What color white paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trish! The bookcase was originally 30" tall before my husband added the crown moulding. I used SW Alabaster in a semi-gloss. Hope yours turns out beautifully!

      Delete