June 15, 2015

Painting a China Cabinet

Happy Monday!

I hope you're having a great start to your week!

Several weeks ago I found this china cabinet at a Salvation Army rummage sale for $100!  It had all the French Country curves that I love and was so blessed and excited to find such a great bargain.

Here is the cabinet when I first showed it to you several weeks ago.

I had always thought I'd paint it.  I love the look of painted furniture and have pinned so many beautiful pieces on Pinterest.  Painted Furniture

I recently painted this piece and I've loved the way it turned out and had decided I would paint the interior of the china cabinet the same way.
So a couple of days ago I removed all the dishes and the glass panels and started painting.  I'm still a little uncomfortable painting furniture but I figured the worst thing that could happen is I would have to paint it a couple of times to get it like I wanted it.  So I started the same way - painting the interior with the same turquoise I used on the small cabinet.
While that was drying, I painted the exterior SW Gray Beige with a chalk paint additive I purchased through Amazon. Rusty Hippo Instant Chalk Paint I didn't worry about getting it in all the crevices too much.  When that dried, I dry-brushed a darker beige chalk paint (that I custom mixed) over the whole cabinet.  Before that had really had time to cure, I went back over the cabinet with a sponge sander, taking the paint off the edges.

I increased my contrast on these pictures so you can better see the details.

I also added a dark blue paint over the turquoise in the interior.  I didn't leave it this 'choppy' but this is the last picture that I took while I was painting.
I used more of the darker beige color in the panels on the base of the cabinet.

I had pulled the cabinet out away from the wall to paint it and when I took a break to eat lunch realized I really liked it at that angle.  So I left it like that.
Pulling it out away from the wall made it more of a focal point in the room.
I haven't added the glass back in the doors.  I mentioned to my husband that I'd like to put chicken wire in the doors instead.  While he hugged me, he told me we didn't have any more chicken wire and he didn't think they sold it any more, so we'll see how this goes.  lol

Even though I love our floor plan I have missed having a formal dining room.  This has added enough 'drama' to the room and I'm much happier with the whole feeling.
We recently got a new patio door and last week had a new living room window put in so I'm trying to keep them out of the pictures until we get moulding put up.  Then I'll share the whole area with you, including the updates we've made on our kitchen.

I'm really loving all the summer home tours that are being posted right now!  We've done so many changes since I did a home tour last year that I think I'll try to do the same in the next couple of weeks.

Have a wonderful week!

love and blessings~

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy." Matthew 5:7 

I'm joining these linky parties:

30 comments:

  1. I love it!!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't sell it anymore?! Ha! What a great sense of humor... I have to tell you this: I have a cabinet with chicken wire and everything in it is always covered in dust! So I keep stuff in there that I rarely use and keep the lights down low!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! I had not thought of that! I will take that into consideration...if I ever find any chicken wire! :)

      Delete
  3. It looks awesome! If not chicken wire, look into radiator grids...the metal ones. I can't remember where I saw it done, but it was nice look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love your painted hutch. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christine! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynda! Oh, your china cabinet turned out gorgeously! I love the blue inside and the white outside. Looks gorgeous in your room too! You're very good at this!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luv the hutch painted Lynda. Will have to check out that paint additive.
    Hahaha at chicken wire not being sold anymore... He's funny.
    Happy new week.
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gee! Yes, he's a funny guy. I like him. ;)

      Delete
  7. You did a terrific job it is absolutely gorgeous! The colors are great together. I know what you mean about a "formal dining" we have a large "country kitchen" no formal dining area. Have a great week.
    Many Blessings, Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Candy! We thought about down-sizing a while back and the house I loved had the most wonderful country kitchen. So I'm sure I would love yours! But dining rooms are fun to make as dramatic and blingy as you can! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  8. Hi Lynda! What a difference; I love the hutch and turning it on a slight angle made all the difference! Your sweet husband sounds like he is home project burned out!lol I am sure we will see chicken wire soon though. This hutch is screaming for it. I am looking forward to your next project (because I'm sure there are many still)!lol Take care, Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannette! He's not burned out - he's just ornery! lol Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  9. what an amazing difference! painting the inside blue really makes it stand out! beautiful job, Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra! I'm really liking the blue, too!

      Delete
  10. Lynda,
    I adore the china cabinet set at an angle, dear one!!!
    Your sweet hubby made me smile with his comment about the chicken wire. . .too, too cute!!!
    "Mr. Ed" put "hail screen" wore in a small blue cabinet and it is absolutely adorable.
    The difference is the hail screen is smaller squares where the chicken wire is hexagonal.
    I have chicken wire in two cabinet door fronts in my kitchen and all who visit l o v e it!!!
    Here on the Prairie, I, too, am creating a more "formal" dining area!!!
    Thank you for sharing your amazing home with us!!!
    Personally,I'd love a Home Tour!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! I would love the chicken wire but I think my husband is against it. We'll see. Thanks so much for the encouragement! :)

      Delete
  11. Lynda,
    Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful makeover at my Show and Share party...it looks GREAT! It will be featured at my party on Monday.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda your china cabinet is just lovely! You did a wonderful job with it. It really makes your dining area feel cozy and inviting. Thank you so much for sharing t SYS and have a great week!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynda! The Weekly Feature Series is live which you are apart of. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/weekly-feature-series_26.html Hope you are having a lovely weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn! I'm sorry it took me a while to see this - we had a new grand baby over the week end and have been busy!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  14. Lynda, have a French cabinet that I bought in the seventies. It came with a wire grid (diamond shaped) on the doors with glass on the backside. You can feel the wire grid on the front side. Still love it after all these years. The glass keeps away the dust.
    Yours is beautiful and so pretty sitting at that perfect angle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connie! I just saw your comment - so sorry I missed it. I added chicken wire to mine today. I may try to add the glass behind it. Thanks for your sweet comment!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  15. Love it all. Where did you get the sign next to the hutch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, An! I got the sign at Joss and Main during one of their flash sales. It's not available right now. However, I've seen them at HomeGoods before. Hope you find one!

      Delete