June 4, 2015

Trash to Treasure to TREASURE

It's an absolutely beautiful day here in Michigan!  The weather is just glorious!

So I've been taking (really long) breaks from antiquing our kitchen cabinets and enjoying our deck.

Last year I told you about a wonderful table that we found and turned into a table in our entry hall. See the story here.

But after having the table in our entry hall for a couple of years, I got the bright idea to make it into a dining table for our deck.  The wrought iron base weighs a ton so it's perfect for outside.

We simply used three 2" thick boards for the new table top.  I sanded the edges until they were rounded and then white washed it.

Mark then made a simple bench for the grandbabies.

The cushions on our chairs had died a couple of years ago.  I had left them out in the sun too much, our dog found out they were comfortable and even a chipmunk discovered that she could get some good stuff out of them!  I thought they were a total loss but when I priced patio cushions I decided they could be saved.

I recovered them in drop cloths and I love them!  I used drop cloths that I bought at Sherwin Williams and they are heavier than what I used in our living room.  Very durable.  And this time I'm keeping the cushions put away unless we're using them.

I spray painted all our patio furniture black to match the table base.  I love the scroll work on the chairs and how it coordinates.
The view from our deck is wonderful!  We live in town but don't have anything in back of our house.
You can see our pool and cabana in this picture.  Our pool is open but it hasn't been warm enough to swim yet.  I love our cabana.  It has a refrigerator, kitchenette and a bathroom in it.  Great for pool parties!

We just replaced our patio door.  You can see through it to the dining room here.  Our contractor is coming next week (God willing) and putting a new window in where the second patio door is.  I am so looking forward to this.  

We have never used this patio door (on the left of this picture) and I think a window will be much nicer and energy efficient.  As you can see, we haven't painted our trim yet around the patio door. We're waiting until the new window is in and will do both at the same time.
I got the baker's rack at Joss&Main.  It had an "indoor" shelf on it and Mark replaced it with wood.  I still need to white wash it so it will be more weather proof but it's great to set your tools and food on when grilling.

You can walk straight through the entry hall to this level of our deck.
We used to ring this old bell to tell our guys to come home for dinner.  

We completely rebuilt our deck two years ago.  Mark made these planters out of the old wood and I planted boxwoods in them this year.  They're supposed to be hardy to -30 so I hope they live.

Our family has had so many great meals out here in the last two years since we re-made this table.  It seats everybody from Great Grandma to sweet babies and we love it!
We'll spend a lot of time out here this summer and in the pool. 

Have a great day!  

love and blessings~

"He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul." Psalm 23:2,3

I'm joining these linky parties:

9 comments:

  1. You are a busy girl, Lynda! Your deck is perfectly ready for summer. I never would have noticed the unpainted woodwork. Great job on the cushion recovering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey! I've been too busy. I need to sit on our deck some more! :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Lynda, the wrought iron base is gorgeous! What a lovely spot you have on your deck. Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at The Round-Up from the Before & After party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/the-round-up-from-before-after-wednesday_9.html Hope to see at Before & After Wednesday tomorrow! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynda! The Weekly Feature Series is live on the blog where you are being showcased. Pop on over and take a look when you have time. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/weekly-feature-series.html Have a lovely weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete