March 31, 2015

Reupholstering a Bergere Chair and Ottoman

I finished my daughter's kitchen chairs yesterday, so it's back to my Bergere chairs.  I hope to have them done this week.  I reupholstered several chairs a few years ago but I am doing something different with my new chairs that I'll share soon.  

I bought this chair several years ago but it didn't look like this when I got it.

It was originally covered in zebra?  is this zebra?  and the piping was very worn.  I always laugh that the men at the used furniture store that I haunt must think I have a really ugly house!  Most of my chairs are pink underneath so if they're keeping track, they think my decor is pink and zebra!  lol
I had never reupholstered anything before but I loved the beautiful wood on this chair and ottoman and felt I had nothing to lose.  I wasn't going to leave it at the store and I wasn't going to leave it like this.

I wasn't blogging yet when I did the chair so I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of how I did it but I can show you how I did the ottoman and it's the same steps.

I wanted to make the ottoman cushion fuller so I added some batting under a piece of foam that I cut to fit the shape of the cushion.
  This is the same poly-fil batting that I use when I make pillows.
I had already made a cover for the whole thing.  You can find how to make a cushion cover here.   How to Make A Slipcover - Part Two 
 I got this blue linen at Hobby Lobby.
On 'How to Make a Slipcover' I show how I make cushion covers fit perfectly and how to add the piping.
I then attached my cushion cover to the ottoman with a staple gun.  After pulling it tight everywhere, I stapled right next to the wood and trimmed away the excess fabric.

I wanted the double piping  that you see on professionally covered furniture.
I measured out a length of piping long enough to go completely around the ottoman and covered it with my fabric.
 I then added a second piece of piping right next to the first, rolled the fabric over it, and covered it, sewing between the two pieces.
 I trimmed the fabric off.  This unfinished cut will now be under the piping and will not show when you attach it to your chair or ottoman.

I attached my double piping with fabric glue.  *Be sure you're not wearing nail polish when doing this step as the glue will dissolve it onto your fabric.  I ordered this glue from Amazon.

 I held the piping on with straight pins over night until it was good and dry.
 And there's my new ottoman!
I used all these same steps to attach the fabric to my chair.  We've lived on it now for a couple of years and it's held up well!


The small lumbar pillow came with the chair and I covered it to match and then made my toile pillow to coordinate the chair with the rest of the room.  
Have a wonderful day!  We woke up to snow on the ground here in Michigan so Spring is not springing 'in my neck of the woods' yet.  We'll keep hoping!

love and blessings~
 "After they had mocked Him, they took the purple robe off Him and put His own garments on Him. And they led Him out to crucify Him."  Mark 15:20 

I'm joining up with these parties:
Between Naps on the Porch - Metamorphosis Monday
A Stroll Thru Life - Inspire Me Tuesday
StoneGable - The Scoop
DIY by Design Swing Into Spring
Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesdays
Dixie Delights Share Your Style
From My Front Porch to Yours Treasure Hunt Thursday



9 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda, You did a wonderful job on the chair and ottoman! I love your style and your home is beautiful...I could move right in.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! You know that I'm just cheap and desperate, right?! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! You have so many talents. I need you to come visit at my house for about a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie! I would love to - especially if it's warmer than Michigan where you live! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, Beautiful job!
    I want to re-cover a similar ottoman but can't figure out how the top cushion attaches to the bottom of the ottoman. Can you tell me what you did please?

    Thanks,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete